High speed chase plea results in prison sentence

By Kellee Bonnell - kbonnell@civitasmedia.com

A Louisville, Ky. man was sentenced to three years in prison Monday morning after pleading guilty to failing to comply with police, stemming from an April 4 high-speed chase that lasted 13 minutes and spanned 22 miles.

Mohamed Isse, 19, was indicted in April on one count of failure to comply, a felony of the third degree, one count of improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle, a felony of the fourth degree, one count of receiving stolen property, a felony of the fourth degree, and two counts of endangering children, both misdemeanors of the first degree.

Last Wednesday in Fayette County Common Pleas Court, Isse pleaded guilty to the failure to comply and receiving stolen property charges. The Fayette County Prosecutor’s Office dismissed the rest of the charges as part of a plea agreement.

On April 4, the Wilmington Dispatch Center received a call of a reckless vehicle on I-71 northbound at milepost 46. At around 8:20 a.m., a Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper observed the vehicle, a light blue Subaru Legacy, on I-71 near milepost 55 commit a marked lanes violation. After turning on overhead lights to attempt a traffic stop, the vehicle began to slow down, and then rapidly accelerated and a pursuit ensued, according to reports.

The trooper continued north on I-71 behind the vehicle with lights and sirens on as the vehicle continued at speeds in excess of 130 miles per hour. The vehicle briefly exited I-71 at State Route 435 and then drove back onto I-71 and continued north. The vehicle then exited the interstate and drove onto State Route 41 and headed south, according to OSHP reports.

The chase continued toward a second trooper who was stationary on State Route 41 near mile marker 15. This trooper was successful in deploying stop sticks, a device used by officers to safely deflate tires during a high-speed chase. The vehicle’s front right tire was deflated and after driving approximately half a mile, the vehicle drove off the left side of the roadway into a plowed field at the intersection of State Route 41 and Prairie Road in Fayette County.

The driver and two passengers exited the vehicle and fled on foot. The driver, identified as Isse, was apprehended without incident after a short foot chase. With the assistance of the Washington Court House Police Department’s K-9, the two passengers were located behind a residence in a garage about a half mile southwest of where they took off on foot.

Contact with the registered owner revealed that the vehicle was stolen from Louisville, Ky. Also recovered at the scene was a Hi-Point 9mm handgun with one round chambered as well as a second Hi-Point 9mm handgun recovered behind the residence where the two passengers had fled, reports said.

On Monday, Isse was sentenced to two years on count one and one year for count three, to be served consecutively with each other, for a total determinate term of three years. Isse is subject to a mandatory three-year period of post-release control with the Adult Parole Authority once he’s released from prison. Common Pleas Court Judge Steven Beathard ordered a 10-year suspension of Isse’s driver’s license.

Isse was awarded 46 days jail-time credit, and is ordered to pay the costs of prosecution.


By Kellee Bonnell


Reach Kellee Bonnell at (740) 313-0355 or on Twitter @newskelleebee.

Reach Kellee Bonnell at (740) 313-0355 or on Twitter @newskelleebee.