WASHINGTON COURT HOUSE — A major gas leak forced several families out of their homes around 10 p.m. on Saturday, June 24.
Members of the Washington Fire Department responded to the rear of 721 S. Fayette St. after receiving a report of a generator that sounded like it was going to blow up and a terrible odor in the area outside, according to reports. Firefighters detected the strong odor of natural gas as they were approaching the scene and discovered the leak near the parking area of the building.
Center Point Energy was immediately requested to the scene and all residents in the area of the 700 block of South Main Street and 100 block of Oak Street were advised to evacuate until further notice. Firefighters found the source of the natural gas leak was blowing near the supply line valve. The exterior valve was shut off, but the leak was unable to be isolated.
During this time, an alert was sent out on social media to inform the community of the issue and to advise them to stay away from the area. A technician from Center Point Energy arrived shortly after and was able to isolate and shut down the supply of natural gas. The technician advised that the gas would remain shut off until repairs could be made, reports said.
At 11:15 p.m. on Saturday, the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office posted an alert on social media advising that the gas leak was contained and that residents in the area could safely return to their homes.
Washington Fire Department Chief Tim Downing spoke with the Record-Herald about the situation.
“The captain that was on duty at the time handled the situation very well and kept the protection of the public as his top priority,” said Downing. “He made sure everyone was moved to a safe area. I really think our guys did a fantastic job handling the situation.”