Jury finds Dayton man guilty after all-night party led to vehicular assaults


A Dayton man will forfeit more than $10,000 to the City of Washington Court House after an all-night party led to multiple vehicular assaults.

Calvin D. Glover, 35, was found guilty by a jury Wednesday on eight felony charges, including two counts of failure to comply, three counts of vehicular assault, two counts of trafficking in drugs and one count of possession of drugs.

Glover was sentenced Thursday in the Fayette County Court of Common Pleas to eight-and-a-half years in prison, a lifetime driver’s license suspension and a cash forfeiture.

According to the Washington Court House Police Department, Glover was sitting in a parked Lexus in the 200 block of Temple Street at approximately 9:45 p.m April 18 and ducked down when he saw a Washington Court House police officer. When the officer checked the Lexus’s registration, Glover drove off over the curb and reached nearly 80 miles per hour approaching the intersection of Delaware and Temple streets.

Witnesses said a black car was crossing the intersection when the Lexus slammed into it. A passenger from the black car was ejected through the rear window. The Lexus then hit other cars parked in the vicinity and witnesses said the driver, later identified as Glover, ran from the scene.

During his pretrial hearings, Glover said he wanted to tell his story in court and rejected sentencing pleas from the state of Ohio. The case went to jury trial Monday and Glover spoke, telling the jurors that he wasn’t the one driving the Lexus that night.

Glover’s witness, King R. Dillard, 39, of Dayton, testified during trial that Glover was asleep in the back of the Lexus when the accident occurred.

“That’s my mother’s car. She’s on dialysis. She’s from Little Rock, Arkansas. Me, my mother, Calvin and a chick that we met off of Back Page was in the car. My mother and Calvin was in the backseat, and me and the chick was in the front seat,” said Dillard.

Dillard said he stopped at the house on Temple Street so that his mother could go inside and do her dialysis.

“The chick that was with me asked to go to the store. I left the car running, I got the keys on me, it’s a push button car. She asked to go to the store, I said go ahead but come right back because my mother, she was trying to get back home. So we go in the house, we probably was in there for probably about, I wouldn’t even say 30 minutes, when I walked outside, I seen the police flashing their light on the car,” said Dillard.

According to John Scott, Fayette County assistant prosecutor, Dillard never told officers that there was a woman in the car at the time of the accident. The witnesses and police say Glover was driving the Lexus and ran from the accident scene. Contrary to those statements, Glover testified that he didn’t run from the scene of the accident.

“I was completely asleep. We had been partying, we had a little female, I had a hangover…I was just in the back seat asleep and I wake up to a big ‘boom,’” said Glover.

He said the woman they met from Back Page was driving the Lexus at the time of the accident.

“I really blanked out. I passed out, I blanked out, I woke up to the cops in my face and I seen guns. Like I said, the police, and I ain’t even with that. Like I said…I can’t run, I got drop foot,” Glover said. “I’m a victim of circumstances. Wrong place, wrong time, I wasn’t even driving period.”

Scott asked Glover why he wasn’t good with the police.

“I had tasers and glocks in my face,” said Glover.

“That’s because you ran from the scene,” said Scott.

“I can’t run, I walked,” Glover said.

According to the Washington Court House Police, Glover was found three doors down from the scene of the accident hiding beneath a stack of cardboard boxes. Glover maintained he didn’t run because he is a crippled man and said he previously testified that he had “drop foot” because he had been shot.

“Well that was an accident…that was an accident. I’ve been shot nine times, shell shot,” Glover said.

“Shell shot. What is drop foot?” said Scott.

“I got shot in my femur. It shattered my femur,” said Glover.

“What is drop foot?”

“It’s where your foot cannot come up cause I got no circulation…I got shot, it happened two years ago. I still can’t walk right, still go through pain, still go through everything man. I been shot nine times and got a gun in my face. I been through a lot,” Glover said.

According to Glover, the shooting occurred when he was robbed from somebody he met on the internet.

“I’ve been robbed. You don’t know the situation. You gotta look at the police report to see what happened. Somebody rob me off of Craigslist. Do your homework, man. I got robbed off of Craigslist, it was in the paperwork,” said Glover.

The $10,170 cash found inside a black bag in the vehicle at the time of the accident was ordered to be forfeited to the city minus court costs. Both Dillard and Glover denied ownership of the cash and said they were not aware that the money was inside the car. A white rock of cocaine, a zip lock bag with condoms, a flashlight and rubber gloves, four bags of syringes, two bags of marijuana, a marijuana roach, scales, a cell phone, business cards and a pair of brass knuckles were reportedly found in the Lexus.

The jury deliberated for three hours before coming back with a guilty verdict on all charges.

Scott said Glover’s prior criminal record included convictions in 2006, 2009, and 2010 for possession of drugs. Glover was sentenced to three years in prison on the charge of failure to comply, a year-and-a-half on each of the three vehicular assault charges, and six months on each drug trafficking charge. He was given 26 days of local jail time credit in the Fayette County Jail. Glover’s witness, King R. Dillard, is scheduled to appear at a later date on five charges of aggravated trafficking in drugs, including heroin.

Calvin D. Glover
http://www.recordherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2016/11/web1_Gloermugshot.jpgCalvin D. Glover

By Ashley Bunton

[email protected]

Reach Ashley at the Record-Herald (740) 313-0355 or on Twitter @ashbunton

No posts to display