American Legion Post 25 and Post 653 have selected 14 young men, including one alternate, from Fayette County to participate in American Legion Buckeye Boys State, an eight-day intensive education program on Ohio government for high school students.
American Legion Buckeye Boys State is a program where each participant becomes a part of the operation of the local, county, and state government. The program will be held at Bowling Green State University from June 11 – June 18.
At American Legion Buckeye Boys State, participants are exposed to the rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities of a franchised citizen. The training is objective and practical with a city, county and state government operated by the students elected to the various offices. Activities include legislative sessions, court proceedings, law enforcement presentations, assemblies, a band, and recreation; all are high school juniors, selected by local American Legion Posts.
From Washington C.H. High School:
– Spencer Minyo is the son of Buck and Debbie Minyo. Spencer’s extra-curricular activities include swimming, DECA, pep band, marching band, jazz band and symphonic band. Other activities include 4-H, photography, piano, and he runs his own lawncare business. Spencer attends Grace Community Church. Some of his awards include obtaining his varsity letter in swim, JFK award recipient, and a five-year member of Academy of Scholars. Spencer takes an interest in computers and enjoys spending time with friends and family.
– Joshua Trimmer is the son of Darcey and Nyleah Trimmer. Joshua’s extra-curricular activities include student counsel, HI-Y club, DECA, Marching Band, Symphonic Band, Pep Band, Jazz Band, OMEA Honor Band, Track and Field, Cross Country, Swim Team, Strength and Conditioning Fitness Program. Other activities include working on family farm, clearing woods, chopping firewood, building bridges, demolition, and planting trees. Some of his awards include placing sixth in state for DECA, Fayette County P-16 Leadership Conference Representative, five-year Academy of Scholars, selected to attend the following “Summer Leadership Experience” U.S Military Academy at West Point and “Summer Seminar” U.S Naval Academy. Joshua has a strong interest in physical fitness. He enjoys weight lighting and long distance running. Joshua is strongly considering military academy for his future.
– Carter Stanley is the son of Matt and Holly Stanley. Carter’s extra-curricular activities include Honors Band, Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Marching Band, Musical, Pep Band, Honors Choir, Symphonic Choir, Quick Recall, Junior Prom Committee, and Communications Club. Other activities include Church Camp Counselor, Vocal Ensemble, OCDA Summer Choir, Summer Singing Program, Piano Lessons, and Church Choir. Some of his awards include Honor Roll since sixth grade, Academy of Scholars, and Section Leader for band. Carter enjoys Star Wars and Harry Potter.
– Jack Luebbe is the son of Steve and Jenny Luebbe. Jack’s extra-curricular activities include varsity soccer and tennis, Marching Band, Jazz Band, DECA, and Student Government. Other activities include 4-H, St Colman Catholic Church Youth Group, Club soccer, and he referees for Club soccer. Some of his awards include Americanism Test winner for two years, Academy of Scholars, and fifth place at DECA. Jack enjoys playing the piano, refereeing, and lawn mowing.
– Maxim Schroeder is the son of Thomas and Jessica Schroeder. Maxim’s extra-curricular activities include varsity soccer and tennis, DECA, and Marching Band. Other activities include 4-H President, and he works at Wendy’s. Some of his awards include JFK Award, Academy of Scholars, and placed at DECA districts. Maxim has an interest in archaeology.
– Gage Martin is the son of Ron and Holly Martin. Gage played basketball and baseball as his extra-curricular activities until he started to work. Other activities include attending Bible Baptist Temple and Anchor Baptist. Some of his awards include being in the Academy of Scholars since seventh grade. Gage loves to hunt and fish; anything that has to do with wildlife. He also works 20-13 hours a week while keeping a high GPA.
– Anthony Kuenzli is the son of Jim Kuenzli and Christy Jenkins. Anthony’s extra-curricular activities include tennis, track, H-Y, and Quick Recall. Other activities include Anthony working part-time at American Eagle. Some of his awards include Academy of Scholars for five years, JFK Award, and received most improved player for tennis. Anthony loves to read. He has a passion for space and because of that he would like to become an aerospace engineer. He also has an interest in computers and has built one of his own.
From Miami Trace High School:
– Quinton Waits is the son of Daryl and Kris Waits. Quinton’s extra-curricular activities include Marching Panther Pride, National Honor Society, Library Club, Men’s Bowling, Tennis, Spanish Club, and FFA. Other activities include South Side Church of Christ youth group, Vacation Bible School, Easter Egg Hunt, Trunk or Treat, Live Nativity, Perry Peppy Farmers, 4-H, Junior Fair Board, and Camp Counselor. Some of his awards include State Chapter Degree for FFA, Top 4 in state Proficiency, Award in Vet Science, Top 10 Fruit Sales, Leadership Awards, Scholarship Award, Honor Roll, and Perfect Attendance. Quinton shows interest in showing livestock. He also enjoys flying radio control airplanes and working at Fayette Veterinary Hospital.
– Adam Ginn is the son of David and Anne Ginn. Adam’s extra-curricular activities include varsity soccer and tennis, Key Club, Spanish Club, FFA, and National Honor Society. Other activities include Sugar Grove UMC ought group, and Vice President of the Buckeye All-Star 4-H Cub. Some of his awards include Honor Roll and National Honors Society. Adam’s interested in things outdoors such as hiking, swimming, camping, and traveling.
– Garret Hagler is the son of Matt and Nikki Hagler. Garret’s extra-curricular activities include National Honors Society and FFA. Some other activities include a member of The Gathering Place, working on family farm, and trapshooting. Some of his awards include National Honors Society. Garret really enjoys hunting but working on the farm comes first.
– Charles Milstead is the son of Dennis and Rebekah Milstead. Charles’s extra-curricular activities include Marching Band, Bowling team, and FFA. Some other activities include 4-H, member of Heritage Memorial Church, and also volunteers at the food pantry. Some of his awards include Scholar Athlete Award. He works over 20 hours a week at a family farm. Charles enjoys camping and target range shooting. When he has the time, he loves being outdoors.
– Dylan Page is the son of David and Dawn Page. Dylan’s extra-curricular activities include Student Counsel, Science Club, Quiz Bowl Team, Mock trial, Marching Band, Musical, Pep Band, Superintendent’s Advisory Council Member, and Prom Committee Member. Some other activities include 4-H, Boy Scouts, Fayette Historical Society member. Some of his awards includes Class President, County Fair Showman, County Fair Champion, and National Honors Society. Dylan shows an interest in politics and economics.
– John Fender is the son of Rod and Heidi Fender. John’s extra-curricular activities include varsity soccer, tennis, Key-Club, Spanish Club, and office assistant. Some other activities include 4-H, Boy Scout, volunteers at Four Season Nursing Home and Springfield manor, also volunteers at New Holland Methodist Church summer lunch program and pathways. Some of his awards include Vice President of junior class, National Honors Society, office worker, and Academic Athlete Award. John has an engineering internship at Riten Enterprises of Washington Court House and he also has a part-time job at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. John shows an interest in politics and government.
The Washington C.H. alternate is:
– Cody Riley is the son of Chad and Cheri Riley. Cody’s extra-curricular include Jazz Band, Pep Band, Marching Band, tennis, track, and Hi-Y. Other activities include Cody working part-time at Nike Outlet. Some of his awards include Academy of Scholars for three years. Cody is very interested in biological and environmental science. He also shows an interest in politics.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU