COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s basketball team’s 2017-18 schedule was finalized Wednesday, Aug. 26 by the Big Ten Conference. The Buckeyes will play an exhibition game against the College of Wooster Nov. 5 before the season-opener against Robert Morris Nov. 10.
Ohio State opens its Big Ten schedule at Wisconsin Dec. 2 and hosts Michigan Dec. 4 before resuming conference play at Iowa Jan. 4. With the Big Ten Tournament moving to New York, the conference tournament will be played Feb. 28-March 4 at Madison Square Garden. Game times and television designations will be announced at a later date.
Chris Holtmann enters his first season as head coach of the Buckeyes. In his last three seasons at Butler, Holtmann compiled a record of 70-31 as a member of the BIG EAST Conference. In six years as a head coach, which includes three years at Gardner-Webb (44-54), his career record is 114-85. His teams have won at least 20 games in each of the last four seasons, including a 25-9 record a year ago.
“We look forward to the challenge of the Big Ten Conference season and competing in one of the premier leagues in college basketball,” Holtmann said.
To purchase season tickets, visit go.osu.edu/2017MBKSeasonTix.
NOTING THE 2017-18 Schedule
· The Buckeyes again will take part in the annual Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Ohio State welcomes Clemson to Columbus Nov. 29 this year.
· In honor of Nike’s Phil Knight’s 80th birthday, Ohio State will travel to Portland, Oregon, for three games the week of Thanksgiving after a home game vs. Northeastern Nov. 19 in the PK80 Invitational (Nov. 23-26). Ohio State opens the games in Portland vs. Gonzaga Nov. 23.
· Now in its fourth year, Ohio State will again play in the CBS Sports Classic. The event will take place in New Orleans this season Dec. 23. The Buckeyes take on defending national champion North Carolina while Kentucky takes on UCLA. The Buckeyes face both teams that squared off for the 2017 NCAA title this season (Gonzaga and UNC).
· Two Big Ten Conference games will be played in early December this year as the conference showcases its annual postseason tournament a week earlier than normal at Madison Square Garden in New York (Feb. 28-March 4). Ohio State travels to Wisconsin for a Dec. 2 matchup with the Badgers before returning home to take on Michigan Dec. 4 in Columbus.
· Two of Ohio State’s nine league road games will be played in non-traditional venues this season. Ohio State faces Northwestern Jan. 17 at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois, while renovations take place at the Wildcats’ Welsh-Ryan Arena. The Buckeyes and Minnesota will play at Madison Square Garden in New York Jan. 20 as part of the 2018 Big Ten Super Saturday double-header with the hockey programs from Minnesota and Michigan State.
· The Buckeyes will have 18 home games in 2017-18 plus an exhibition contest vs. the College of Wooster Nov. 5.
· Eight Big Ten Conference opponents take on the Buckeyes once this year. Ohio State plays host to Illinois, Maryland, Michigan State and Nebraska and travel only to Minnesota (neutral site/MSG, New York), Northwestern (Allstate Arena, Rosemont, Illinois), Purdue and Wisconsin. The Buckeyes play Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Penn State and Rutgers both home and away.
· Ohio State will play 17 regular-season games against 14 teams that advanced to postseason play in 2017. Eleven games are scheduled vs. 2017 NCAA Tournament teams (Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Northwestern, Maryland, Minnesota, Texas Southern, North Carolina, Michigan (2), Purdue and Michigan State) while six contests pit the Buckeyes vs. 2017 NIT squads (Illinois, Clemson, Indiana (2) and Iowa (2).
OHIO STATE 2017-18
MEN’S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
5-Sun. College of Wooster (Exh.)
10-Fri. Robert Morris
16-Thurs. Texas Southern
23-Thurs. 2-vs. Gonzaga
24-Fri. 2-vs. Florida/Stanford
26-Sun. 2-vs. TBD
2-Sat. at Wisconsin
9-Sat. William & Mary
16-Sat. Appalachian State
19-Tues. The Citadel
23-Sat. 4-vs. North Carolina
30-Sat. Miami (Ohio)
4-Thurs. at Iowa
7-Sun. Michigan State
14-Sun. at Rutgers
17-Wed. 5-at Northwestern
20-Sat. 6-vs. Minnesota
25-Thurs. Penn State
7-Wed. at Purdue
15-Thurs. at Penn State
18-Sun. at Michigan
23-Fri. at Indiana
28/4-Wed.-Sun. 7-at Big Ten Tournament