The Washington Fire Department recently responded to the following:
REPORT OF SMOKE: 10:21 p.m., 2893 U.S. 22 W. – Received report of smoke in the area. On arrival FD made contact with the caller, who stated they had checked the buildings in the area but could not find the source of the smoke. FD found the smoke to be coming from a trash pile at the reported address. Contact was made with the occupants son who stated he was burning cardboard and plastic. I explained to the occupant that the property is in a restricted zone being within one-mile of the city limits and that outside that mile a burning permit is needed.
ALARM ACTIVATION: 10:20 a.m., 576 Tiara Way – FD received a call for an alarm activation in residence. FD arrived on scene and had no smoke or fire coming from the house. FD officer went to the front door to make contact with someone of the residence. one FD member walked around the house. The officer looked in the window of front door and the windows around the front. He did not see any smoke in the house from there. The officer walked around the house looking in windows and still did not see any smoke or fire in the house. After the two FD members walked around the house they noticed that they did not hear alarm S or detectors going off inside the house. FD contact the alarm company to have them make contact with owner of the house, the alarm was unable to make contact with owner at that time. A member of the FD walked around the house with a thermo imaging cameram the walk around did not detect anything out of the normal. The third member of the FD on scene walked around the house to see if he could see or detect any smoke or anything out of the normal, this FD member advised the office that he did not see or find anything. FD returned to the station.
FIRE DAMAGE: 12:29 p.m., 914 Millwood Ave. – Exposure damage resulting from a fire originating in a structure next to it off the alley way at the rear of 918 Millwood. Damage was primarily contained to the exterior wall, which burnt through the structural components and the roof section directly adjacent to the structure of origin. Property owner removed a vehicle (2013 Chrysler 300) from inside of the garage prior to FD overhauling.
FIRE DAMAGE: 12:29 p.m., 918 Millwood Ave. – Exposure damage resulting from a fire originating in a structure behind it. Damage was primarily contained to the exterior wall(s) and roof section directly adjacent to the structure of origin, with minimal intrusion into the overhead storage area of the garage.
GARAGE FIRE: 12:29 p.m., 918 Millwood Ave. – Received station tone from the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office reporting a garage fire. FD noted heavy smoke while enroute and found heavy fire involving multiple structures behind the residences and off the alley way at the time of arrival. FD extinguished fires in three separate structures, overhauled all structures involved and investigated. After interviewing the occupants, FD investigation determined the fire originated below the window and above the dog box located inside near the southwest corner of the shed and was caused by a heat lamp in use at the time of the fire.
ODOR OF GAS: 2:24 p.m., 706 S. Fayette St. – Received call from occupant stating there was an odor of gas inside the house. FD investigation found elevated levels of natural gas inside the house and located a leak at/near the shut-off valve in the line located in the kitchen. FD was unable to isolate the leak in the kitchen and shut-off the gas supply at the exterior meter. FD advised to have repairs made and to have the shut-off in the kitchen supply line replaced.
ODOR OF GAS: 7:54 p.m., 230 W. Elm St. – Received call from homeowner reporting an odor of gas. FD investigation did not detect any gas leak(s), but did find a problem with the furnace. FD shut-off thepower and gas supply to the furnace and advised to have repairs made.
VEHICLE FIRE: 11:48 a.m., Old US Route 35 – Received report of semi hauling fuel burning. On arrival FD found the truck cab and engine compartment burning. FD extinguished the fire which destroyed the truck and caused only minor damage to the trailer. The driver advised there was a squealing noise in the truck as he exited the highway. Once stopped at the intersection he exited the vehicle to investigate a smoke odor. Once out of the vehicle flames could be seen coming from under the truck cab with fire dripping onto the roadway.
VEHICLE ACCIDENT: 12:27 p.m., U.S. 62 NE – Received report of an accident with injuries. FD found all occupants out of the vehicles and denying injuries. FD checked the scene for safety and provided traffic control.
ICE/WATER RESCUE: 9:21 a.m., 933 Old Springfield Rd. – Received station tone from the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office requesting an ice/water rescue. FD requested mutual aid from New Holland FD and assisted Sheriff deputies and EMS personnel with rescue efforts.
ALARM ACTIVATION: 6:17 p.m., 709 E. Temple St. – Received station tone from the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office reporting a general fire alarm activation. FD did not find any smoke or fire at the time of arrival and was informed by the homeowner there was no problem, they were changing batteries in the smoke detectors.
STRUCTURE FIRE: 2:49 p.m., 1126 E. Temple St. – Received station tone from the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office reporting a structure fire. FD noted heavy smoke while enroute to and found moderate fire on the north exterior wall of the structure at the time of arrival. FD was informed the property was being renovated and no one was suppose to be inside at the time of the incident. FD initiated a fire attack and an interior search of the structure. FD extinguished the fire and overhauled the immediate area. FD determined the origin of the fire to be located at the wall mounted baseboard heater and caused by insulation piled on and around the heater itself.
STRUCTURE FIRE: 1:44 p.m., 619 Clinton Ave. – Received report of a structure fire. On arrival FD found a fire burning in the wall at the rear door. FD forced entry into the residence and removed wall coverings to expose the fire. The fire started just below the rear door and burned up along door framing. The fire was extinguished before it reached the attic space.
STRUCTURE FIRE: 4:35 p.m., 713 N. North St. – Received station tone from the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office reporting a structure fire. FD noted a black smoke column while enroute and found heavy fire rolling out of the front porch window and entry door at the time of arrival. Light smoke conditions were noted coming from the southeast and the northwest gable vents. FD initiated a transitional fire attack from the front porch prior to making entry. FD requested Fayette County MES, DP&L and mutual aid from Bloomingburg FD and Wayne Twp FD. FD extinguished the fire on the first floor of the structure and determined the fire had spread up through the interior cavities of the walls into the attic as a result of the buildings’ construction type. FD made several roof and exterior wall openings to extinguish the fire in the attic. FD completely overhauled both first and second stories to confirm the fire was extinguished. FD determined the area of origin to be located near the front wall on the southeast corner, but was not able to determine a cause after its’ investigation. Cause is undetermined and will require further investigation. One person was treated at the scene for burns and smoke inhalation and transported to Fayette County Memorial Hospital for further treatment and evaluation. No witness statements were available at the time of report.