Miami Trace ready to resume class


District’s buildings, buses disinfected following flu outbreak

By Martin Graham - mgraham@recordherald.com



After the district was closed Friday due to a flu outbreak, Miami Trace Local Schools Superintendent David Lewis said the buildings and buses have been disinfected and are ready for students to return Tuesday.

According to Lewis, Thursday night and Friday members of the district’s custodial, maintenance and bus staffs took time to disinfect the district after the high volume of influenza B cases.

“Those teams did a good job, but we decided to just cancel all activities until Tuesday so that anyone who is sick wouldn’t bring in new germs immediately,” Lewis said. “Thankfully, (Tuesday) we will be back to normal. I know some things were already rescheduled, including several middle and high school events impacted by us being out for the four days.”

Lewis said Monday that the administrative staff members have also stayed relatively healthy and have been out of the buildings as well.

“I told everyone to stay away today,” Lewis said. “I know I came in for a few hours today, but the administration can do some things remotely if they need to. Since today is the holiday anyway, they should be enjoying a day off, but all of the administration did work on Friday. While the buildings were being cleaned they came into their offices to catch up on some things, but as far as (Monday) is concerned I wanted to keep everyone out of the buildings.”

Lewis also said the district was in contact with Fayette County Public Health throughout all of last week. It was during these discussions that the district saw a particularly large spike of absences at the middle school and decided that it would be best if they would take the time off to help mitigate the issue.

“Early in the week, especially at the middle school, attendance was impacted,” Lewis said. “At one point we had over 20 percent of the student body absent at the middle school. Deputy Health Commissioner Leigh Cannon has specific numbers, but I want to say as of that time, they had 69 confirmed cases in the district. The real issue though is that the health department can only determine confirmed cases with a swab test and they told me they wouldn’t be surprised if it was actually over 100 cases.”

Following the announcement that classes would be canceled Friday, the district sent parents an email with information from the health department and encouraged them to keep kids home if they were sick so the illness would not spread.

“Even though it was particularly bad at the middle school, our students share buses so it can impact all students easily,” Lewis said. “(Cannon) said they contract with someone who sees this information about medication for sickness and attendance to help the county determine its needs. She made the comment that there were cases county-wide but it was definitely a problem rising in the district. So with that in mind, we want to protect our students, and it worked out perfectly that we could take the four-day weekend to clean the buildings and prepare them for the rest of the flu season.”

Finally, Lewis emphasized that if a child is sick they should remain home, and encouraged the community to make sure to go to the doctor as the flu can be deadly for younger people or others who have a compromised immune system.

“If there is a question of their health it is probably better to keep them home,” Lewis said. “I know it can be inconvenient to have days off of school, but we greatly appreciate everyone’s support and cooperation. Student health and safety is our priority and we would rather be safe than sorry.”

The information in this article was provided by Miami Trace Local Schools Superintendent David Lewis.

Reach Martin Graham at (740) 313-0351 or on Twitter @MartiTheNewsGuy.

https://www.recordherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2020/01/web1_New-Miami-Trace-Panther-head-logo-.jpg
District’s buildings, buses disinfected following flu outbreak

By Martin Graham

mgraham@recordherald.com