‘Wind chill watch’ issued for area


By Martin Graham - mgraham@recordherald.com



The National Weather Service has issued a wind chill watch in the area starting Tuesday evening and ending on Wednesday evening.

According to weather.com, the National Weather Service issued a wind chill watch on Monday and is expecting bitterly cold air to filter into central and southwest Ohio starting on Tuesday evening and lasting through Wednesday evening. Overnight lows are forecasted to range from around zero to the “teens” below zero. Due to winds, the temperature will feel like negative 30 degrees, which according to the National Weather Service can cause frostbite in as little as 30 minutes to exposed skin. High temperatures will remain around zero.

“We are encouraging everyone to bring their pets inside of their home, or at the very minimum, into a warm enclosure,” Brad Adams, chief humane agent & outreach and education director with the Fayette Regional Humane Society, said. “Allowing animals to remain outdoors in the extreme cold temperatures without sufficient shelter that provides warmth inside could result in frostbite or even worse, death. If we find an animal, large or small, confined outdoors without sufficient shelter to protect them from the cold temperatures, we may remove it under exigent circumstances. The owner should expect charges relating to animal cruelty if we have to go that route in order to ensure the safety of their animal.”

Winds are expected to blow around 20 miles per hour or more throughout the next two days. The coldest of these wind chills are anticipated for Wednesday morning and early afternoon. No precipitation is currently expected.

“If anyone is concerned about the welfare of an animal, they are encouraged to call the Fayette Regional Humane Society at (740) 335-8126,” Adams said. “We would rather send humane agents out to check on the animal’s well-being, and to make sure that pet owners are in compliance with shelter laws. It’s better to be safe than sorry. If concerned citizens are unable to reach the humane agents during open hours, they are still on call for after hour emergencies 24/7, and the police department or sheriff’s office will dispatch them out.”

For Thursday, winds will slow down to be anywhere from 5 to 10 miles per hour throughout the day with a high of 14 degrees and a low of 11 degrees. Variable clouds with snow showers are currently predicted by weather.com Thursday with the chance for about one inch of accumulation.

A warm-up in temperatures should begin on Friday as they rise to a 28 degree high and 23 degree low, according to weather.com. Morning snow showers are also expected, but accumulation will be sparse. In the evening, clouds should clear late and winds will blow at 5 to 10 miles per hour.

Despite the expected rainfall this weekend, the temperatures should make everyone feel a bit warmer. For Saturday — and the next two days — the low temperature should not drop below 35 degrees and the high could reach up to 40 degrees. For Sunday — which has a 60 percent chance of rain — the temperatures are forecasted at a 51 degree high and a 45 degree low. Monday should continue the warmer trend with a 56 degree high and a 38 degree low with a 40 percent chance of rain, according to forecasts.

Stay with the Record-Herald for more on potential winter weather in Fayette County.

Reach Martin Graham at (740) 313-0351 or on Twitter @MartiTheNewsGuy.

https://www.recordherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2019/01/web1_WinterWeather-1.jpg

By Martin Graham

mgraham@recordherald.com