U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue is tentatively scheduled to be the keynote speaker at the Southwest Ohio Corn Growers and Fayette County Agronomy Field Day on Tuesday, Aug. 15 at the Fayette County Airport.
Perdue — a former farmer, agribusinessman, veterinarian, state legislator, and governor of Georgia — became the 31st United States Secretary of Agriculture on April 25.
“As secretary, I will champion the concerns of farmers, ranchers, foresters and producers, and will work tirelessly to solve the issues facing our farm families,” Perdue said when he was sworn in. “I am proud to have been given this opportunity and look forward to rolling up my sleeves and getting to work as we continue to move the USDA and our nation forward.”
According to his bio, Perdue came by his knowledge of agriculture the old-fashi0ned way: he was born into a farming family in Bonaire, Ga. From childhood and through his life in business and elected office, Perdue has experienced the industry from every possible perspective.
Perdue has pledged to be an unapologetic advocate for American agriculture.
The annual field day event will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is free and lunch is provided.
Other topics and speakers will include:
– Spray drift and spray nozzle selections: Erdal Ozkan from the Ohio State University;
– Follow-up for 2018 Farm Bill listening session: Jed Bower, Ohio Corn and Wheat Growers;
– Corn seeding rates and emergence: John Fulton, the Ohio State University;
– Corn ear rot, diagnostic demonstration: Pierce Paul, the Ohio State University;
– Using on-farm research to make adaptive nitrogen decisions: Elizabeth Hawkins, the Ohio State University;
– Cover crops for pollinators: Denise Ellsworth, the Ohio State University;
– Ohio Corn and Wheat Growers Association update;
– Programs available to plant pollinator strips: Katie Maust, USDA Farm Service Agency, and Will Newman, Pheasants Forever.
All-day events will include: corn and soybean plots, two $500 gift certificate drawing for Ohio Corn Grower members, a trade show, plane rides from FCA Flight Training, health screenings in the morning, and CCA credits and private pesticide re-certification credits offered.
The Fayette County Airport & Demonstration Farm is located at 2770 State Route 38, Washington Court House.
Reach Ryan Carter at 740-313-0352 or on Twitter @rywica