Washington C.H. resident Shawn A. Cox has been elected Commander of the Ohio Department of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
Cox was elected during the 133rd annual encampment of the Ohio Department of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) held in Kenton, Ohio.
The SUVCW is a national organization created in 1881 by the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR). In 1954 the SUVCW was chartered by the United States Congress as the legal heir to the GAR. The organization is dedicated to preserving the memory of Union Civil War veterans, documents, grave sites, battle sites, equipment, monuments, clothing and other relics of the Civil War and promoting patriotism. The members of the SUVCW are descendants of Union Civil War veterans.
Cox was installed as Ohio Department Commander by the national SUVCW Commander-in-Chief Tad D. Campbell from Gilroy, Calif. in a ceremony held in Veterans Hall in the Hardin County Court House in Kenton, Ohio. Veterans Hall is a suite of rooms in the court house used by the GAR which remain much as they were when used by the GAR, including much of the GAR furniture and equipment.
Cox has been a member of the SUVCW for 24 years and is a past commander of Henry Casey Camp No. 92, which meets in Washington C.H. At the state level he has served as patriotic instructor, junior vice commander and senior vice commander.
Cox succeeds Tim Graham from Hudson, Ohio. Other Ohio department officers elected to serve with Cox are: Senior Vice- Commander, Peter J. Hrisko, Jr. from Vermillion; Junior Vice-Commander Jim Crane from Mt. Healthy, and Secretary-Treasurer Jonathan Davis from West Jefferson.
Cox appointed Henry Casey Camp Commander Shane Milburn to serve as the Ohio Department Patriotic Instructor and Henry Casey Camp Past Commander William E. Radabaugh to serve as the department guard. He appointed Terri Langdon from Cincinnati to serve as department chaplain and selected past Department Commander Robert W. Davis from Canal Winchester as his chief of staff.
The Kenton Elks Club was the site of the annual encampment luncheon held with the ladies Auxiliary to the SUVCW. Past national Commander-in-Chief Robert E. Grim, a member of Henry Casey Camp No. 92, served as the master of ceremonies for this event.