Do you have kids who love science, technology, engineering, arts (design), and mathematics? Check out the S.T.E.A.M. Summer Camps offered in Hillsboro and Wilmington through a partnership between Southern State Community College and Southern Ohio Educational Service Center.
Each of the 12 programs is designed to bring campers’ ideas to life in a fun, hands-on learning environment. From concept to creation, students will demonstrate their masterpieces at the end of each week. All S.T.E.A.M. Summer Camp programs mirror real-life experiences and the collaborative nature of the design process.
The curriculum is provided through Black Rocket and Sciensational Workshops for Kids, Inc. Each session includes a $149 fee and will be hosted on either SSCC’s Central Campus, 100 Hobart Drive, Hillsboro, or SSCC’s North Campus, 1270 Davids Drive, Wilmington.
To learn more or to register, contact Kim Fitzpatrick at 800-628-7722, ext. 4684, or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, visit www.sscc.edu/students/events/assets/steam-flyer.pdf.
PROGRAMS OFFERED IN HILLSBORO
· Make Your First 3D Video Game – Students will learn the physics behind 3D games, explore beginner event scripting, level design, controlling flow of gameplay, and storytelling – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 10-14; Session 2 (ages 11-14) will be held 1:30-4:30 p.m. from July 10-14.
· Arcade Electronics Galore – Students will use resistors, switches, wires, LED diodes, transistors and more to build and play their own arcade games – Session 1 (ages 11-14) will be held 1-4 p.m. from July 17-21.
· App Adventures: The Next Level! – Students will choose from a selection of different web-based (HTML5) mobile apps and explore in-depth programming concepts – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 24-28; Session 2 (ages 11-14) will be held 1:30-4:30 p.m. from July 24-28.
· CSI Crime Investigation – Students will learn about forensics, crime scene investigations, and crime lab chemistry as they perform as many as 15 different experiments designed to show how those tricky cases are solved – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 1-4 p.m. from July 31-August 4.
PROGRAMS OFFERED IN WILMINGTON
· Model Airplanes | Bridge Building | Electronic Gadgets – Students will learn simple engineering skills to build electronic projects, including a rubber-powered model airplane, model bridge, patrol car siren, burglar alarm, and Morse Code transmitter – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 10-14.
· Minecraft Modders – Students will use a favorite game to learn introductory coding, scripting and logic statements, the basics of modding, and the foundations of programming – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 17-21; Session 2 (ages 11-14) will be held 1:30-4:30 p.m. from July 17-21.
· Robotic Arm Science – Students will learn the science of robotics as they have fun building, commanding, and taking home their own five-motor arm – Session 1 (ages 11-14) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 24-28.
· Minecraft Animators – Students will bring their favorite Minecraft characters to life in an animated short film by using techniques like keyframing, tweening, texturing, and animating rigged 3D models – Session 1 (ages 8-11) will be held 9 a.m. to 12 noon from July 31-August 4; Session 2 (ages 11-14) will be held 1:30-4:30 p.m. from July 31-August 4.