The Deer Creek Daisies visited the Kelton House and Garden for the October meeting. The Kelton House is located on East Town Street in Columbus and it is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was restored and is maintained by the Junior League of Columbus.
The house was built in 1852 by Fernando Cortez Kelton and his wife Sophia Stone Kelton. Fernando became the first businessman in Columbus to supply dry goods and pharmaceuticals on a wholesale basis. His family has maintained the home through three generations. The Kelton house is blessed to have intact the collection of furniture, decorative accessories, paintings and drawings and archival material from the Kelton family. The museum includes many of the popular furniture styles of the 19th century. Located behind this beautiful house is a “garden in a city.”
Today’s Kelton House Garden incorporates traditional Victorian statuary, a pergola, a trellis and plant material in the Victorian Style. Visitors are permitted to walk through this lovely garden as they wish. The garden is available for social events and many weddings take place there every year.
Fernando and Sophia both immigrated to Columbus in the 1930s from the New England area. They brought with them strong anti-slavery views and belonged to an abolitionist society. At the time this house was built (1852) it was the last home on the street, surrounded by pasture, cows, and grazing sheep. It became a “safe house” on the Underground Railroad for fugitive slaves from Kentucky, Virginia, and other pro-slavery states. Education about the Underground Railroad for elementary school students is available in the “Kelton House Learning Station Library.” This needs to be facilitated by calling the Kelton House Education Coordinator.
The Daisies enjoyed lunch at Cimmi’s Bistro in Grove City. The door prize winner was Jeanne Miller. The next Daisy Meeting will be Nov. 18. Billie Lanman and Rita Lanman hosted the outing.