A home on Jasper Coil Road, just off of U. S. Route 22 in Fayette County, was destroyed after it caught fire early Sunday morning.
At approximately 12 a.m., reports of a house fire at 56 Jasper Coil Road prompted the response of three fire departments, Sabina Fire Department, Washington Fire Department and Concord-Greene Volunteer Fire Department. The fire raged through the morning as crews worked to extinguish it. No one was reportedly inside the home at the time of the fire. The Fayette County Sheriff’s Office was also on the scene.
The home was destroyed, leaving occupants Tammy Jester and her fiance Jeff Russell in terrible emotional pain.
“We live in that house and have lived there for 12 years,” Jester said during an interview Monday. “We have been staying back and forth between our home and my uncle’s across the street. We have been helping to take care of him. That was where we were when the fire started. There were so many things in there that had been my grandparents’ and I left to really keep it their home.”
According to Jester, she and her fiance were asleep when he heard a loud thud and believed it to be the uncle falling. After checking on him and finding him to be fine, Russell heard yelling outside. He went to investigate and found their home already nearly fully engulfed in the flames.
“A man had stopped and called the fire department and the sheriff’s office when he noticed the house was on fire,” Jester said through tears. “He had started yelling to wake any occupants of the home and Jeff went out and told him it was our home. He woke me up and that is when the crews started coming in to put the fire out.”
Jester had plenty of memories to share about that home, which has been in her family for years. It used to be “grandma and grandpa’s” house, a place of comfort and love. Now, with nothing but her grandma’s dress and grandpa’s coat that survived the fire, the couple is trying to move on.
“We were told it seemed to be an electrical fire,” Jester said. “We are so thankful we weren’t in the house when the fire began and that no one was hurt. I just remember practically growing up in that house, coming in and just knowing and feeling you were loved. There are so many memories that I made with my grandparents and for all of it to be gone is just surreal. We are taking it day by day but we’ll be okay. It is just hard to look at and accept.”