American Legion Post 25 and Post 653 have selected 16 young men from Fayette County to participate in American Legion Buckeye Boys State, an eight-day intensive education program on Ohio government for high school students.
American Legion Buckeye Boys State is a program where each participant becomes a part of the operation of the local, county, and state governments. The program will be held at Bowling Green State University from June 12-19.
At American Legion Buckeye Boys State, participants are exposed to the rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities of a franchised citizen. The training is objective and practical with a city, county and state government operated by the students elected to the various offices. Activities include legislative sessions, court proceedings, law enforcement presentations, assemblies, a band, and recreation.
The following students, who are all high school juniors, were selected by the local American Legion Post:
Miami Trace High School:
– Gabe Seyfang is the son of Derek and Heather Seyfang. Gabe’s extra-curricular activities include football, track and golf. Other activities include Spanish Club, FFA and youth group at Grace Community Church. Some of his awards include obtaining his varsity letter in golf, scholar athlete achievement in football, track and golf. He maintains honor roll and has perfect attendance. Gabe enjoys playing guitar in his spare time.
– Nick Elrich is the son of John and Magdalana Elrich. Nick’s extracurricular activities include FFA, Key Club, 4-H, concert band and musical. Nick is the Student Development Officer in FFA, he won FFA Creed Speaking, in top 10 fruit sellers and grain merchandizing. He is in National Honor Society, on the swim team, volunteers and is involved with his church and plays varsity soccer. Nick has been top 10 in his class, honor roll and perfect attendance.
– Jared Fenner is the son of Derick Bobbitt and Korrie Fenner. Jared’s extra-curricular activities include football, wrestling and Spanish Club. Jared is first team all-SCOL in wrestling, 2016 sectional wrestling runner-up, 2016 district fourth place wrestling, 2016 wrestling state qualifier and 2016 winter sports student-athlete nominee. Jared enjoys hunting, fishing and weight training in his spare time.
– Todd Peterson is the son of Bob and Lisa Peterson. Extra-curricular activities include Scholar athlete, FFA, State 4-H achievement, varsity soccer, tennis and swim team his freshman year. Other activities include FFA Land Lab Manager, novice parliamentary procedure state champ, Dairy Products and quality state champ, Greenhand degree, Chapter degree, Science Fair participant, attended State & National Convention. He is a member of the Student Government, Key Club Vice President and Spanish Club member. Todd is a three-year Jr. Fairboard member, 4-H club president, 4-H Camp counselor for three years, State 4-H Ambassador, Teen leadership council, Delegate to the National 4-H Congress. He is involved in a trap-shoot club, Club soccer, tennis lessons and is a member of St. Colman Catholic Church. Some achievements throughout his high school career include being a scholar athlete, Americanism test winner, top 10 academic award, honor roll, state 4-H achievement award, seven-time 4-H state fair participant, two-time 4-H State Fair outstanding of the Day recipient, State winning dairy quality & products team, and FFA Chapter leadership award. In his spare time, Todd enjoys farming, knife making, wood working and traveling.
– Seth Leach is the son of Greg and Ronda Leach. Seth’s activities include football, basketball, tennis and Spanish club. Seth is involved in the Mt. Sterling First Church of the Nazarene youth group and National Honor Society. Seth enjoys collecting coins, watching sports, and running in various races such as OSU 4 miler, Grove City Turkey Waddle and Columbus Corporate Challenge. He would like to coach basketball someday.
– Jared Murphy is the son of Rodney Murphy and Sharon Evans. Jared’s activities include wrestling, student government, French club, perfect attendance, and National Honor Society. Other activities include running a small lawn mowing operation and works at Kroger. Jared was nominated for Homecoming Attendant; he’s 20th in his class and a PSEO member since sophomore year. In his spare time, Jared enjoys economic research, business simulator games, programming and basic engineering, and helping others.
– Cole Karnes is the son of Kelly and Brian Pettit and Brian Karnes. Extra-curricular activities include football, track, FFA, Spanish Club and National Honor Society. During his high school career, Cole has been an FFA officer, received the FFA Greenhand Award, earned two letters in football, Vice President of Teen Leadership Council, President of the Top Performers 4-H Club, Community Service Chairman, Jr. Fair board and 4-H Camp Counselor. He’s been in the Top 10 in his class for two years. Cole is a member of the St. Colman Catholic Church. In his spare time, Cole enjoys hosting a foreign exchange student and being on the Greene County Fish and Game Trapshooting Team.
– Blake Pittser is the son of Rob and Kim Pittser. Extra-curricular activities include cross-country, football, soccer, basketball and track. Blake has received his varsity letter in soccer, All-League and All-District for three years; Cross Country varsity letter and All-League for three years and All-District for two years; football varsity letter 2013, 2014, 2015, Key Club, Basketball Varsity Letter 2014, 2015 and 2016; All league 2nd team All-District, Honorable Mention All-Ohio 2016, Track and Field – Varsity letter 2014 and 2015; Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Soundsations music group and Spanish Club. Other activities include club soccer-Ohio Galaxies, Heritage Memorial Church Youth Nation and Heritage kids’ program volunteer. Blake was the junior class officer, National Honor Society member, Scholar athlete, honor roll, captain of the soccer team and basketball team, and Key club Junior class representative. In his spare time, Blake enjoys camping, fishing and running.
Washington Senior High School:
– Levi Davis is the son of Kami Campbell and Matt Davis. Levi participates in track and field and musical stage crew. Outside of school he is involved with church, work, Court House fitness, and works at Campbell-Wall after-hours. Levi is in the Academy of Scholars. He enjoys learning new things and finance.
– Liam Downing is the son of Tim and Kate Downing. Liam is involved with varsity football, varsity swimming, varsity track and field. Outside of school, he is a YMCA lifeguard and a member of the St. Colman Catholic Church. Some awards and achievements throughout his school career include JFK guard, student of the week and student of the month, physical education award and he received an Americanism test award. His interests include being a firearms enthusiast; working on, building and target shooting firearms; keeping within the law, of course.
– Kyler Mount is the son of Jerry and Jenny Mount. Kyler is involved in baseball, golf, and student government. He attended and graduated from leadership class that he was nominated to attend. Outside of school activities include baseball, golf and yard-work around the neighborhood. He was selected for student of the week and 1st-team all SCOL for golf. His interests include how the government runs.
– Michael (Chance) Oyer is the son of Toi and Mike Oyer. Some of Chance’s extra-curricular activities include marching band, symphonic band, vocal ensemble, freshman and sophomore caucus and Junior Caucus Secretary, graduate of leadership conference and musical productions in 2012 through 2016. Outside of school, Chance works at the courtesy desk at Kroger, is a member of the youth board of directors of United Way and works with the Ohio State Extension Community outreach project. His other interests include performing music talents in front of a large group of people.
– Alex Patel is the son of Jay and Vibha Patel. Alex is involved in DECA, tennis and soccer. He enjoys politics, business world problems and current events.
– Griffin Shaw is the son of Jeff and Julie Shaw. Griffin is a member of his class caucus for the third year. He plays golf as second year varsity, basketball with All District honorable mention, and baseball as second year varsity. He was involved with DECA for two years and is currently tutoring two students. Outside of school, Griffin is involved in the St. Colman Catholic Church as an active server as well as being a part of a Sunday night bible study group. His freshman year, he was his class vice president. He is currently learning the Italian language and works at a local physical therapist’s office.
– Gage Summers is the son of Shannon Summers and Amanda Miller. Gage is a member of the marching band, musicals, vocal ensemble, concert and symphonic choir, and concert and symphonic band. He has been a member of the Presbyterian Church and Pigs-n-Things 4-H club. During Gage’s sophomore year, he earned highest score on the Americanism test and has received various musicianship awards. He has interest in how things work and writing.
– Kenny Upthegrove is the son of Ken and Melissa Upthegrove. Kenny is involved in soccer, basketball and tennis. Some awards and acknowledgements include two varsity awards for soccer, coach’s player of the year, voted captain by the team, two varsity awards most improved in basketball, and this will be his third year playing tennis where he has gone to sectionals. He does weight lifting three days a week. Kenny goes to Heritage Memorial Church, has participated in 4-H, Boy Scouts and youth baseball and boys’ group at church. He’s been student of the week in high school. He enjoys being involved with the community and likes to be able to help others in need.
The American Legion Post 25 and Post 653 would like to thank the following sponsors: Halliday Lumber, Inc., Pettit Enterprises, Inc., VFW Post 3762, DAV Post 89, Bells Side Jobs LLC, Doug Marine Motors, Carroll Halliday, Inc., Fayette Masonic Lodge #107, BPO Elks No. 129, Mossbarger Smithson, The Willow, Langley Realty, Parrett Insurance, C&J Auto, Streetside 62 Bistro, E Z Oil Change, The Rusty Keg Tavern, American Legion Post 25, Susan Dunn, Evelyn Pentzer and Cathy Templin.
This article was submitted by the American Legion.