The Southwest Ohio Corn Growers Association, in conjunction with the Fayette County Agronomy Committee, will hold their annual field day and test plot demonstrations on Tuesday, Aug. 11 at the Fayette County Demonstration Farm on State Route 38, adjacent to the Fayette County Airport.
This year, there will be a number of events scheduled throughout the day and evening, as well. Five organizations will be holding activities at the Demonstration Farm and airport.
The Field Day, with speakers and demonstrations with lunch, begins at 9:30 a.m. and runs to 3 p.m.
The Fayette Chamber of Commerce “Business after Hours” will be held from 4 to 6 p.m., highlighting the Fayette County Extension Service and the Fayette County Airport.
Also during the day, the Fayette County Farm Bureau and the Fayette County Soil and Water Conservation District Annual Meetings will be held. Voting for SWCD directors will be held from 11 a.m. to 6:45 p.m.
The Southwest Ohio Corn Growers Association Banquet will begin at 6 p.m. with business meetings to follow. Cost is $10 per person. For ticket information please contact the Farm Bureau office at 800-443-6830.
Admission to the Field Agronomy Day events is free. The keynote speaker will be Chris Novak, CEO of the National Corn Growers Association.
Speakers during the Field Day, and their topics, include:
• Nitrogen Uptake: Joe Nester, CCA of Nester Ag.
• Nutrient Management, Greg LaBarge, The Ohio State University Extension.
• Do New Drought Tolerant Hybrids Have A Place In Ohio Corn Production?, Peter Thomison, The Ohio State University.
• Nutrient Timing and Application, Steve Culman, The Ohio State University, Soil Fertility.
• Variable Rate of Nutrients, Tim Norris, Ag Leader.
• Cover Crop Demonstration Plot and Conversation, David Brandt, Brandt Farms.
• Dow AgroSciences LLC, Enlist Research and Demonstration: Dave Hillger, Dow AgroSciences, LLC.
• OCGA Update, Tadd Nicholson, OCGA Executive Director.
There will be corn and soybean show plots.
A drawing for two $500 gift certificates for Ohio Corn Grower members will be held at the lunch. There will also be a trade show all day. There will be plane rides from FCA Flight Training, $30/person for a 30 minute flight. For the flights, you must register at 740-335-2430, payment in cash or check made to FCA Flight Training.