A single-story home on Sheley Road in Jeffersonville was destroyed by fire Sunday evening.
The house was fully engulfed shortly after 6 p.m. when the Jefferson Township Fire Department arrived.
“Fortunately, the lady who owns and lives at the house was at the store at the time,” said Aaron Hauer, the chief of the Jefferson Township Fire Department.
Veda Matthews is listed as the owner of the house, located at 14012 Sheley Road.
It took about 20 firefighters approximately four-and-a-half hours to get the blaze under control, said Hauer. Three other fire departments assisted at the scene: Silvercreek, New Jasper and South Solon.
No injuries were reported.
“It appears to be a total loss,” said Hauer. “It’s still under investigation, but it doesn’t look like much can be salvaged. The roof collapsed on pretty much everything.”
No foul play is suspected in this fire, according to Hauer.
“We know the fire started in the kitchen, but we’re not sure yet what caused it,” he said. “The owner has two pets. Fortunately, both were at the store with her when the fire occurred.”
Because this is Fire Prevention Month, Hauer urged residents to remember to always have two ways out of a residence, and to remember to change the batteries in smoke detectors.
Reach Ryan Carter at 740-313-0352 or on Twitter @rywica
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU