U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue is unable to attend the upcoming Southwest Ohio Corn Growers and Fayette County Agronomy Field Day on Tuesday, Aug. 15 at the Fayette County Airport. Instead, the keynote speaker will be Perdue’s senior advisor, Brian Klippenstein.
According to agri-pulse.com, Klippenstein is a Missouri native who is familiar to many in agriculture circles, thanks to his work in the industry and time on Capitol Hill. Most recently, Klip – as his friends call him – served as the executive director of Protect the Harvest, the Lucas Oil-backed initiative “created to preserve the freedoms of American consumers, farmers, ranchers, outdoor enthusiasts, and animal owners.”
Agri-pulse.com describes Klippenstein as “a high energy guy, whom one long-time friend described as “the Energizer Bunny, working at a pace, both mentally and physically, that wears out his co-workers and colleagues. It won’t surprise anybody that watches him that he runs marathons.” The George Washington University graduate is known as an experienced straight-shooter, with a wealth of agricultural knowledge.”
The annual field day event will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is free and lunch is provided.
Other topics and speakers will include:
– Spray drift and spray nozzle selections: Erdal Ozkan from the Ohio State University;
– Follow-up for 2018 Farm Bill listening session: Jed Bower, Ohio Corn and Wheat Growers;
– Corn seeding rates and emergence: John Fulton, the Ohio State University;
– Corn ear rot, diagnostic demonstration: Pierce Paul, the Ohio State University;
– Using on-farm research to make adaptive nitrogen decisions: Elizabeth Hawkins, the Ohio State University;
– Cover crops for pollinators: Denise Ellsworth, the Ohio State University;
– Ohio Corn and Wheat Growers Association update;
– Programs available to plant pollinator strips: Katie Maust, USDA Farm Service Agency, and Will Newman, Pheasants Forever.
All-day events will include: corn and soybean plots, two $500 gift certificate drawing for Ohio Corn Grower members, a trade show, plane rides from FCA Flight Training, health screenings in the morning, and CCA credits and private pesticide re-certification credits offered.
Additionally, following Klippenstein’s presentation there will still be a short round table on Farm Bill and Trade.
The Fayette County Airport & Demonstration Farm is located at 2770 State Route 38, Washington Court House.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU