Every January the Deer Creek Daisies meet to discuss upcoming events, festivals, flower shows, road trips, seminars, and whatever might be of interest to the gardeners. Each member chooses what month or months they can host or co-host. Some definite dates and outings were determined so the gardeners could make notes on their calendars.
– Feb. 19, Hosted by Emily King and Billie Lanman. This meeting will be at Rachel’s House (Catering and In-home Dining Services by Rachel McClish). Hosts will present a flower/garden program.
– March, Hosted by Joyce Schlichter and Kendra Knecht and Emily King.
– April, Hosted by Billie Lanman and Rita Lanman.
– May, Hosted by Jeanne Miller, Shirley Pettit and Barbara Vance.
– June 24, Hosted by Barbara Vance and Connie Lindsey. Members will visit OSU’s Chadwick Arboretum. Those in attendance will be asked to wear scarlet & gray and most likely the gardeners will be asked to spell out O-H-I-O!
– July, Fayette County Fair 18 thru 23. Members are encouraged to participate in a category of their choice.
– August, Hosted by Marty Cook and Barbara Vance.
– Sept. 17, Hosted by Judy Gentry and Julie Schwartz. Members attending the Country Living Fair in Columbus. Weather permitting an early fall picnic is on the agenda.
– October, Hosted by Shirley Pettit and Jeanne Miller.
– November, Hosted by Kendra Knecht and Joyce Schlichter. “Santa’s coming to town for an early holiday celebration.” Daisies will find out who’s been naughty or nice!
– Dec. 3, Hosted by Connie Lindsey and Shirley Pettit. Lunch at the Golden Lamb in Lebanon followed by watching the annual Christmas Horse & Carriage Parade. Choices for the duration of the day are shopping at the unique boutiques and antique shops or touring the Glendower Museum which is decorated for Christmas by the Lebanon garden clubs.
All were present and enjoyed an evening of friendship with delicious appetizers and desserts brought by all. The 2015 scrapbooks were displayed. Members could look back and reflect on the places they traveled to during the year, meetings and events they had attended. Kendra Knecht won several garden prizes as her name was drawn as the lucky winner. Each year the Daisies have a fun Christmas card contest to see who can come up with the most unique garden club card. This year’s winner was Julie Schwartz.
All garden club members brought a new blanket or throw to donate to The Well for those who might be in need during the cold winter months.
Connie Lindsey concluded the meeting by giving each member a bundle of 10 or more garden magazines which she had saved for the past few years. Those magazines included Garden Gate, Country Living, Country Gardens, Ohio Gardener, Mid-West Living, Birds & Blooms, Ohio Magazine, and Our Ohio and Container Gardens.
Garden Fact: If soothing flavor is your cup of tea, look no further than your herb garden. For a homegrown tea party, plant bee balm, chamomile, coriander, fennel, lemon verbena, sage, scented geranium and any mints to use in your brew. (Birds and Blooms)
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU