Are you planning a party this weekend for the Fourth of July? Red, white and blue is the theme for the weekend. Fill the party with some healthy and tasty foods that celebrate these patriotic colors.
Start the day with pancakes with blueberries, strawberries or cherries on top. You may want to add a little whip cream. Blueberries are about the only food that is blue, so you may be eating a lot of blueberries today; however they contain great nutrients including potassium, other minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and some vitamins.
For a snack, parfaits are delicious. Layer vanilla or plain yogurt with red raspberries and blueberries and you can top with some granola. Red grapes are delicious with yogurt, so you may want to add some grapes.
For a red, white and blue salad for lunch or dinner mix together kale, spinach, or romaine with some dried cranberries, blueberries, and feta cheese. Top with a poppy seed dressing. Another idea is to slice some tomatoes and add a scoop of cottage cheese on top.
Some cool snacks and dessert ideas are:
· Make watermelon cookies – Slice watermelon about an inch thick and use cookie cutters (star shape or other shapes) to cut shapes. Then icing with vanilla Greek yogurt. You can add some blueberries or red, blue, and white sprinkles if you want. Serve on a platter.
· Make skewers of cherries, bananas and blueberries
· Make some frozen pops layering strawberries or red raspberries, vanilla yogurt and blueberries.
· If you have large strawberries, fill them with a small amount of whip cream and top with a blueberry.
· Make blueberry cobbler and top with ice cream or whip cream and add some red raspberries on top.
· Add some red raspberries and blue berries to a water pitcher and serve some fruity water. Strawberries or watermelon can also be added to water for a tasty drink.
· If you are adventurous and want to try a unique red recipe, check out this Red Beet Humus. Serve with cucumbers and blue corn tortilla chips.
· Check out fruits and veggies more matters for more patriotic food ideas. They have a cute American Flag veggie tray.
Enjoy the weekend and celebrate with red, white and blue.
Pat Brinkman is the extension educator, family and consumer sciences, at Ohio State University Extension.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU